What kind of audience are you?

Number of replies: 3

Think about 4 types of audiences that were discussed this week (active, aware, latent and apathetic), based on the level of problem recognition, personal involvement and constraint recognition. Reflect about your perceptions and opinion in case of :

- nuclear power industry

- genetically modified food

Discuss: What kind of audience you are personally in these cases?  What kind of communication messages are mostly appealing to you? What kind of information you are looking in these cases?

In reply to First post

Re: What kind of audience are you?

by Cindy Marven -

Nuclear Power Industry - aware - I am aware of the issues, perspectives of different people, and the pros/cons of the industry, but am not actively involved in it - we don't have a nuclear power plant near us.  I would like information about the plant (how well-maintained it is), and whether or not an accident at the plant would affect us; and what to do to protect my family.

Genetically Modified Foods - apathetic - I have assumed that my government is paying attention to potential risks and would not approve something that is harmful.  I am aware that this might be a false assumption too as the government has approved things in the past that they shouldn't have.  I am aware that there are more stringent rules in Europe concerning GM products so it is on my radar a bit - so maybe between apathetic and aware - but not involved so not active or latent.  I suppose part of why I am not more active or concerned is because I don't think the risk is huge.  I do think that GMO - can have issues for our environment and ecosystems, if not our foods - this concerns me more.  Genetic 'fine-turning' of humans or other organisms (from viruses to complex animals) is concerning - but it feels fairly distant form me and my everyday life so I haven't become actively involved.

I would have like to have been involved (consulted, asked for input) in public review of GMO.  I would prefer to have products labeled.  I don't think the government should have proceeded without public consultation on this issue as it has potential impacts for the public.

In reply to First post

Re: What kind of audience are you?

by Ugne Ruksenaite -

In both cases, I would be aware, because neither do nuclear power nor genetically modified products concern me at this time of my life. Both cases are quite not interesting to me